Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Idaho Frost Dates

I like getting older. I love my birthday simply because it's the start of a new, better year. (How can it get better when each year is so great? Oh! It does!) I would never, ever go back to being a kid if I had the chance. I think part of it is that I am just flat out enjoying things more. Gardening is one of them.

I remember getting my own little patches of garden as a kid. I'd be excited to plant the seeds, flowers, and veggies. Then I'd get bored, forget to water them, hate weeding them, and the pour things would go untended. I don't remember what happened to the flowers -- I think Dad and Kaylynne took care of them? If so - thanks for being patient with my fickle attention span. As for the veggies all I remember is an abundance of parsley. I also worked for a summer at a garden nursery watering the potted plants. I hated that job; the hours every day I would have to stand watering (why oh why didn't I learn about the plants?).

But now here I am 11 years later, and I can't get enough gardening. (Does wanting a worm composting bin for Christmas qualify as obsessed? THANK YOU HUSBAND FOR PUTTING UP WITH MY WORMS!!!)

I know I said last year that I wasn't going to grow marigolds from seed. I changed my mind. I'm trying again. This year I have a plan of action though: I got a smaller start tray, and some actual garden pots to put the starts into. I need to start the seeds six to eight weeks before frost.

Frost dates for Boise are: Spring - 5/26 (this is the Safe date; actual average is 5/8) and Fall - 9/22.

That means I need to start my seeds between March 31st and April 14th. (If I want to play with the frost, it could be as early as March 20th).

No comments:

Post a Comment