Sunday, May 17, 2009

Name That Onion!

I pulled out part of what we think is an onion to get a better look at it. We found it on the outerside of our fense among the overgrown grass we ripped out to replace with wildflowers. Is it a green onion, the tops meant to be eaten? Is it a normal onion supposed to be left in the ground longer, the root meant to be eaten? Is it a shallot?

The last of my garden is getting planted tonight. As stated in a previous blog, I attempted to start 3 flowers: zinnia, allysum, and marigold. Verdict: bust. Thank goodness for grandparents! I received more zinnia from Papa and I'm picking up a gift of marigolds from Grandmom tonight. I also attempted to start cantelope from seed. Out of nine peat pods planted with 2 seeds each, only 3 germinated. I put them out to start hardening off, but when I came home, there was a catastrophe waiting for me. Something had dug in the little pods, seeds strewn about, and my germinated plants decapitated! It nearly brought me to tears. One little start made it through the ordeal. And to my surprise, a few days later (and two weeks after originally planted) another seed germinated!

A heads up: I will be on vacation for two weeks starting a week and half from now. I'm anticipating that my lettuce and broccoli are going to be ready for harvest just as we leave. Please feel free to stop by the house and pick what you would like. All I ask is that you take only the lettuce leaves that are ready and not the entire head so that more leaves can be harvested later. Please be careful to not disturb the other budding veggies as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment