Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Lilacs, slugs and rain, oh my!

It was a normal morning. I kissed my husband goodbye and went about fixing my breakfast. It wasn't a few seconds before I was beckoned outside to see the "biggest slug ever!" And it was. The biggest slug that I'd seen in Idaho at least. With a girlish squeal I did the most logical thing: Grabbed the salt! It was as cool as all the legends promise. I guess I will have to add beer to my grocery list to take care of the rest of the buggers that are chomping on my iris.






Speaking of my iris, their bed is infested with some sort of weed. I can never get the root out, and it has a milky puss that oozes out of the stem wounds. Anyone know what this is or how to get rid of it?






I discovered why my lilac only has 4 blooms. Lilac buds form early. If the shrub is trimmed without knowing this, one can chop off all the future fragrant flowers. The plan for trimming the upcoming year is to cut back 1/3 of the growth at the ground, continuing with the same tactic for the following two years. Lilac bushes take 3 years to bloom so this will keep it continuously producing flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment