Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wild Flowers!



We ran into a friend/co-worker of mine from Supervalu tonight at church. In conversation, he wondered why I was always so stressed out at that job. Stress is a quickly descending, fickle thing in my life that I am struggling to manage. In Germany, people took time every day to go to the grocery store (their little mini-fridges stood proof) and, in the town I lived in, walked around the salt-water fountain because the moisture was good for the respiratory system. The general pace of life was more laid back.


All this to say that I have been very stressed since returning from Chicago trying to catch up on work and things at home and in the garden. But I will move on to the things I have been able to notice in the garden. First and foremost: wild flowers!! My plan on the outside of our fence turned out beautiful.

We continue to harvest loads of lettuce. We can't eat a fraction of it, even with sharing quite a bit of it. The idea of having not only enough, but to be able to eat it without the thought of running out (at least for now.) The broccoli has been a learning experience. Learning the timing of when to let it get just a little bigger and when it will bolt has been stressing Husband out. Next year, we will freeze more, I promise. :)


I have now eaten a handful of home-grown blueberries! There are lots of little tiny would-have-been berries, but I think they didn't get fertilized in time. We have one early producing bush and one late producing bush. Most of the flowers had already fallen off the first before the second bloomed.




And the tomatoes are going to be bountiful! I ended up starting one roma plant in a wall-o-water a few weeks earlier than the others. That one has huge green tomatoes, and the other plants are not far behind.







No comments:

Post a Comment